Sunday, December 2, 2007

Self help, coaches and finding one's course

As a member of eWomenNetwork, an international women's organization, I have the opportunity to receive two free coaching sessions from a list of pre-selected coaches. For two years I've debated whether or not to utilize this benefit.

My excuse is also probably my ignorance for this profession. But I always believed a coach was akin to a psychiatrist and I wasn't getting comfy on one of those couches. Besides, I always felt I could self correct without outside influences.

But I know some of the most successful women have personal coaches for various aspects of their lives. Perhaps I was wrong.

SO I finally decided to give it a try. Well, that is I made the connection with the coach. Now I have to make the appointment. I'm a little unsure of what to do. You see she asked me to tell her a little bit about myself what area I would like to concentrate on in the session: personal or professional.

When I started to respond I was like a "push me-pull you" character...every time I wrote about my personal goals I got pulled into business goals. They are not exclusive of each other.

Here's what I mean...

I’m 47 and never been married---my choice. Two years ago I entered a relationship with a great guy, but he has three children and I never wanted kids. He lived an hour away and it became increasingly difficult to travel back and forth and since he had custody of the boys, we decided I would give it a shot and move in with him and work from home. The kids love me, so there’s no issue there.

What I found after a year was that I had changed. Without my circle of influence that gave me a sense of pride and self worth, I was losing ground to the fuzzy bunny slippers/sweat suit work style and slower pace life. I knew going in that I was going to give up things to make this work, but what I realized recently is that when you give up core values and needs, everything suffers. I was spiraling downward and my relationship and my business suffered.

I gave up my home
I gave up my close proximity to my circle of influence
I gave up my music (I was a regular fan on the local blues circuit—check out http://www.marilynsmusicscene.com/ ) because what was once an hour drive to see the bands is now 2hrs.
I gave up my sense of self

But that's where the self-correcting factor kicks in. I must have unconsciously recognized that I needed to make a change because I began to resurface in the networking world. I traded my sweat suit for a dress suit (sadly a few sizes larger than I'd like) and took on the challenge of building a new chapter of eWomenNetwork in South Jersey.

But I couldn't do it alone. Thankfully, Milt and I can talk about anything. In a tear-jerker session the other day he vowed to support my "rebirth" because what is important to me is as important to him. And he means it. Like a said earlier, great guy.

So when I stayed back in Cherry Hill the other night to catch the Randy Lippincott Band at Red, Hot & Blue and then drove up to the Mermaid in Chestnut Hill later that night to see Zydeco-a-go-go, he was totally supportive. John Colgan-Davis from the Dukes of Destiny, who was at the Mermaid summed it up when he said, "the music world is all right again...Marilyn is back."

And I think I'll send the coach a link to this blog so she can decide where should I begin....

2 comments:

Jen A. Miller said...

I think life coaches are like self help books -- you need to find the right one, and you need to be in the right fram of mind for the advice to work.

I went through a major slump this fall. I'd worked all summer on my first book, THE JERSEY SHORE: ATLANTIC CITY THROUGH CAPE MAY: A COMPLETE GUIDE, and after it was done -- poof! Where did my work go? I wasn't putting in 12 hour days anymore. I didn't have any (OK, many) assignments lined up. I didn't find many reasons to get out of my sweat pants and t-shirts. I was even having problems motivating myself to run, something I love to do.

So I made the decision to get back in touch with people. I emailed every editor I'd ever worked with. I contacted friends who'd fallen off my radar while I worked on my book. And I started going into an office once a week, not just for the work, but to connect with people, and have a reason to put on that suit.

I like working at home, but I've come to the conclusion that I need to get out every once and a while. My dog might be cute, but she's not a person, and I think we all need that interaction.

Great blog post!

Jen
downtheshorewithjen.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Mas. I have known you all our lives, and have watched you change, grow, fall back and re-group, and grow again. It's wonderful to see you in love, and i have to repeat myself with the expression "God has a sense of humor" since you fell in love with a man with children! He loves you, like no man has before, and it's wonderful to see you blossom and trust in that love, as you have in setting out in any and all business adventures all your life. This is another chapter in life, a learning curve, and without sticking your hand out there you'll never learn...the good and the bad. I am a woman owned small business owner, scared at times that "If you build it they will come" is really a lie. I have learned through the years that if I do the next right thing, love honestly, act smart, think things through as much as i can, then what's suppose to happen will. It's a matter if I am willing to learn the lesson from the challenges, and the successes. I love you, have all my life, have ALWAYS had confidence in you no matter what our ages (YOU are older!HA), and know that with perserverence and a plan life will turn out the way it's suppose to. So get out of the way and let it happen. you have amazing gifts that I only WISH i had, the ability to network, the confidence you are able to project when you are really scared to death, are so noble. Live in that, let Milt hold you, and laugh when the kids want you to pull your hair out. As my ol' friend Jerry said , "Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile." love ya...Hope