Sunday, August 10, 2008

Dog(gy) Days of August

A funny thing happened on the way to the rest of my life--I actually got one. I never knew what I was missing until I moved in with Milt, his three teenage sons and two dogs.

Now, to be honest, I could live without the teenage sons, but I've come to absolutely love my furry new friends---allergies and all.

The little dog is a Jack Russell. Her name is Serenity. Unfortunately she got the short end of the twin thing and has shorten legs that make her hop like a bunny when she runs-- it's sad and oh so cute at the same time. Thankfully she also missed out on the crazy, loud, yippy, wild traits that most Jack Russells exhibit--except when she is outside and spots a rabbit, bird, bug or a ball with which she can play...and play...and play. It is a never ending game of fetch with Serenity.

She is also a lap dog and is happiest when sitting on Milt's chest or burrowed inside a bunch of covers.

The bigger dog is a boxer/lab and her name is Pippy. She has a wicked tail--don't get to close when she's happy, she'll leave scars! But what gets me is that she has the most soulful eyes--ya can't help but love her.

As the woman of the house I am, of course, the nurturer. This includes the making sure the dogs have food and water and, yes, I am the treat lady. So when Pippy looks up at me with those soulful eyes I turn to putty.

But is so worth it. I never understood, never experienced, and up to now, never missed the unrequited love that animals can provide. Pippy follows me all over the house and plops down in whatever room I happen to be in and when I go up the stairs, she waits at the bottom of the stairs for me.

When I open my door and look down I am filled with a sense of awe (or is that awww). I can't believe how attached we've become. In fact she is sitting right next to me as I write this blog. Yes, I know that ultimately she is here because the doggy treats are under my desk, but right now she's content to just "be with me" and that just melts my heart.

Plus I think we relate to each other. I can always tell when she wants to go out or needs food or water in her bowls. Than again, she's always hungry, so that's a no brainer.

I no longer care that I am allergic to her--that I sneeze when she sheds and that my hands break out when I touch her. Now I play with her, brush her hair and just love to have her around.

The dog days of August are here, and I'm doggone glad about it!

No comments: