Saturday, July 5, 2008

Does Wearing Two Hats Look Funny?

So how many of you have more than one job or own more than one business? I do and I have to admit, sometimes the sailor hat (CruiseOne) and the networking hat--whatever that looks like to you (eWomenNetwork) don't always wear well together.

But, more often than not, they really do compliment each other.

When I first decided to purchase a CruiseOne franchise in 2005 I based my decision on two things: the growing trend towards cruise vacations and the idea of helping people have fun.

When I first decided to purchase the rights to start a new eWomenNetwork chapter in Southern Jersey in 2007 I did so with two things in mind: the growing trend of small women owned businesses and the idea of helping women build and enrich their personal and professional lives.

Clearly helping people is an important focus of both.

However balancing the two isn't always easy. Because both businesses require responding to people in a timely manner, I can't split my day and say that the morning is CruiseOne and the afternoon is eWomenNetwork.

Another dilemma is what business to market or promote. For the first six months on Blogger I listed myself as a travel professional in the cruise business. I decided to change it tonight (thus the focus of this blog) to highlight eWomenNetwork.

Clearly all eWomenNetwork members or prospects are also CruiseOne prospects, but not necessarily the other way around--many of my initial cruise contacts are male.

Those that receive e-mails from me can see from my signature that I run both business ...what they may not have noticed is that I flip flop the companies depending on the topic. In other words, if you've e-mailed me about a cruise, then I put the CruiseOne signature on top...but if you later e-mail about eWomenNetwork, then I flip that signature to the top (at least I try to remember to do that!)

But I guess my question still remains....does it look funny to see both signatures? More importantly, does it confuse you or lessen the importance of one over the other?

My view is that I try to be upfront and honest with everyone that both are my businesses and both are important to me.

So, I ask you, to quote one of my favorite shows..."How do I look?"

No comments: